WIP Wednesday – I Blacked Out

What the hell happened? The last thing I remember is swigging down some cold and flu medication with the last bottle of champagne last Thursday night. Then I woke up Monday morning to find thirty of these blocks sitting on my sewing table. They are impeccably made, but those fabrics! Where ever did they come from? Who created this traditional, razzle-dazzle?

[checks security footage which was installed after the last stalker tried to scale the fence]

Oh dear, it was me! This is what happens when you’re sick. You obviously do things that could be a bit out of the ordinary. That flu fog is starting to dissipate, and in the mighty words of Meat Loaf, “It’s all coming back to me now.” I remember I had quite a few fat eighths and fat quarters of these traditional-esque fabrics sent with Grandma Sparkles’s Magic Suitcase that have since been stash-bound. What better way to excavate them out of the stash for good, than put them all together?!

I thought the palette reflected my physical state, as well as taking me back to a warm and cozy place of my youth. (Isn’t that where you always want to run when you get sick?) I added some similar prints in a rainbow of muted tones from the likes of American Jane and Denyse Schmidt. I designed this block myself–I’m sure it exists in some form elsewhere–while thinking about diamonds breaking and the exoskeletons we build to protect ourselves. More on that still to come.

I obviously had part of my subconscious peaking through because there’s a few tidbits of Mirror Ball Dot and Botanics scattered throughout the floral cream tone on tone breaks. No, it’s not my typical style, and that’s exactly why these had to be made. Don’t ever expect anything typical of me. Swerve left? Swerve right? Nah, I’ll throw my drink in your face and back flip all the way down the catwalk!
Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WiP Wednesday!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Just when you think you know me.

1. So precisely pieced! I wish I could maintain those standards while sick!

2. pennydog says:

Nothing wrong with traditional 🙂 I was ill on Saturday night and Sunday morning I came up with a whole new pattern that I'm now working on, being ill is good for creativity I'm sure. I wonder whether this cold I have and the shin splints I've had for nearly a fortnight are going to transform into something spectacular too…. probably not.

3. Leigh Anne says:

Yep, still not my cup of tea but I will certainly applaud some fantastic piecing and the satisfaction of using up stash that would otherwise linger on and on and on…

4. Love it!! Totally up my alley. Perfect fabrics and great piecing 🙂

5. We all have our "other self" trying to get out and play!

6. Wendy says:

No Mollie, you did not make them. I did. Have you really forgotten already that I'm your resident stalker? I sleep under your bed during the day and go through your drawers in the night. I'm stalking both of you, you and Mr Sparkles by the way.

7. Farm Quilter says:

Lovely pattern and great piecing…not my fav fabrics…looks like you are looking through a lattice and I expect to see a garden. OK, not necessarily a garden-garden, but a garden of bright colors vying for attention…ombre bleeding from one color to the next…rather than looking like the 30s exploded in your studio!!! You are so not the muted colors in this palette – you…*S*P*A*R*K*L*E*!!!

8. Brianna says:

By the way, I love that block pattern… Would you perhaps consider a tutorial on the block?

Well I think you need to give this right back to Grandma Sparkles when complete, to thank her for schlepping all that fabric around the world for you!

10. Jehnny says:

It's you, but it's not. Kinda like having a kid.

11. I like it … maybe I'm more traditional than I thought?

12. Anja says:

If this is what happens when you black out, I think I may have to get some flu medication. LOL. I love the block. Kudos on the design.

13. Kathy says:

Don't most artists do their best work when they are in a "drug/alcohol" induced state? 🙂

14. Sarah Goer says:

Beautiful blocks. Small world! I'm sitting next to a few yards of that green fabric from the first/second photos.

15. hahahahaha

I wish I could piece like that in a fully alert state of mind.