Sunday Stash #67 – Island Batik

It is no secret that I am a fan of a bold, geometric batik. I enjoy the papery drape of the cloth, the rich saturation, and the way the colours bleed into each other. This bleeding often creates a superb blender fabric that you’re unlikely to find in a typical quilting cotton. All that being said, too many batiks look like they’ve been inspired by poop, and another large portion of them are auditioning for Hawaii Five-0. Seriously, batik makers, stop it! Yes, I get it, Indonesia inspiration, blah, blah, blah … but it’s time to branch (no pun intended) out!
So when Katie from Island Batik sent me an email a few weeks ago offering up some of her company’s latest Spring 2014 range, I was all sorts of dubious. “Make sure it’s bright and hold the ferns,” I requested. Well Katie, bless her, knew exactly what I meant and we had an instant bond over the funkier side of a batik. She sent these fabrics for free, but y’all know I would not hold back from telling you if I didn’t like them. (That green one is a bit too neon lime, but other than that they tick all my boxes! Owww!) So here I present to you some wonderfully bright and modern choices from Island Batik

Those aqua's YUM! I quite like the lime too…

I have a rainbow Batik quilt I need a plain to go with… a solid is wrong, a white is too stark, time to go down the hill to PoP and see what Robyn has on offer…

2. I'm not typically a fan of batiks, spending large amount of my life living in South Asia sort of kills the "hype" for me. But i do dig the purple/yellow and the teals!! And I'm so with you on "hold the ferns"

3. I agree with you completely about the batiks. There are few and far between that really catch my eye, but this is a nice set you've acquired! I especially like the reds and blues.

4. Leigh Anne says:

I'm a little in love with the one that looks like tie dye!

5. Kara says:

You've made a liar out of me. I thought I hated all batiks, but I was wrong. That aqua and orange up there is really beautiful!

6. charlotte says:

Love the first one! The third one down is my other fave. Reminds me of a tropical resort.

7. Auntie Pami says:

Lime is the new black. They do make some lovelies.

8. What a colorful addition to your stash! Love the top two, the lime and the middle ones. Reminds me of the beach.

9. Connie says:

Beautiful batiks and I can't wait to see what you make with them! Katie sent me a great box of Island Batiks too!

10. audrey says:

I love the aqua, and that purple star batik is killer awesome! 🙂

11. mrs.hands says:

Those batiks are reeeeally awesome. The aqua ones are the best!

12. Pat says:

Those are beautiful! The aqua is wonderful but all the purples are yummy. Okay, all of it is yummy.

13. jeifner says:

Timeless Treasures has some great non-fern batiks. More graphic, less muddy or ferny 🙂

14. Mara says:

Those are nice batiks.

15. … those watery edged patterns in the batiks make my sea legs wobble, but the colours are lovely.

16. Books_Bound says:

"Make sure it's bright and hold the ferns" absolutely should be the name of your inevitable future quilting book.