TGIFF – A Proud Dad

Okay, I like to think I’m not the completely emotional type,  (although I cry every time I watch The Biggest Loser) but when it comes to my twelve year old step daughter, I melt. Like, the inner bitch leaves the building, the world stops spinning, and your wish is my command. Lately, we’ve really been connecting with creative endeavors, and it makes my heart sing Mariah Carey-esque whistle notes. She goes to an all-girls Catholic private school (technically she’s Catholic, but for educational purposes only) and recently has been learning about sewing. Woodshop is next trimester, so mad props to the school for not gender stereotyping! She came to visit over the school holidays and mentioned she would be making an apron the next trimester. The conversation went a bit like this:
“It has to be all white with just a pocket in the colour we want. I guess I should make the pocket pastel pink because that’s what everyone else is doing.”
Oh, I was having none of that!  “That’s just silly! What do you really want it to be like?! Don’t be afraid to be different!”
“Well, I like teal and red colours, and bright yellow. And hot pink, and leopard, and zebra, and roller skates and just crazy stuff.” Crazy? Ha! That’s a typical day for Molli Sparkles!

“Oh, child. You have come to the right place.” Obviously my SPARKLE gene had been passed down! We immediately went fabric stash surfing and she picked out some beautifully complimentary fabrics. “But my apron has to be white,” she lamented. “Pfft! The apron you wear at school has to be white, but the apron you make for you  can be whatever you want! Let’s show those boring bitches how’s its done!”
“I’m not allowed to say that word.”
“I know, ‘boring’ is such a disgusting word, I try not to say it either!”
A whole bunch of LOLs ensued.

So during the past few weeks we used the tutorial from Aesthetic Nest to make this fat quarter friendly reversible apron. Honestly, I sewed the pom pom trim in place, but she did the rest, including the ironing, measuring, rotary cutting, sewing, and WERK IT GIRL, modeling. I hovered over like a doting father / sparkle leader should, giving words of encouragement, and managing the seam ripper when needed. Oh, there are mistakes, and we are both fully aware of them, but the process mattered so much more than the product. And hey, the end product is fucking awesome — ‘boring’ got left at the curb.

The next day I took her to a netball game, and when the coach asked her, “Where’s your dad?” She turned around and pointed at me. That whistle note just went an octave higher.

1. Her apron is so cute! Love the pompoms. This is a lovely post, made me smile before my coffee, even.

2. Waverlee says:

This is, by far, my most favourite Molli Sparkles blog post 🙂 🙂 Love the pom pom trim.

3. AmyH says:

Well done Mini-Sparkle, far from that terrible boring word.

4. charlotte says:

Great apron. i love your style! You made me laugh today, and certainly nothing about you is boring. Great lessons for a sparkle in the making.

5. Best. Post. Ever. Especially the netball part. Fabulous apron!

I was wondering how the apron turned out! Now that is one sparkletacular apron! I am hopeless at remembering to wear an apron when I cook but that is an apron I wouldn't want to take off. Way to go, hi fives to both of you! Shake those pom poms!

7. Deborah says:

What more can I say than…….. I JUST LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

8. sharpie says:

<3 Love this. My heart just melted.

9. hydeeannsews says:

wonderful. i had the worst home ec projects, too.

"boring" is the b word in my book, also. (and the other one, but the kids don't hear that around here. lol.) boredom is not allowed.

10. Honora says:

Adorable! I must admit, I champion the bitch gene. These young girls are going to need it. When channeled correctly, you can bring out any girls inner sarcastic diva. and, THAT is always a hoot and a holla!

11. And reversible too! Definitely sparklicious:)

That's one talented little Sparkle you have there. Loving that pom-pom trim – I'm going to have to get some of that for my little fella who's showing an interest in all things sewing. And the ric-rac peeping out of that blue pocket. Too wonderful. That's definitely how home ec projects should be done!

Oh that girl knows how and *where* to fabric 'shop'! During the apron making class she can remember her dirty little secret at home ;o)

14. Lindi says:

Love It! She's a clever (and gorgeous) little Sparkle. Good colour taste, too. 🙂

15. Mareenchen says:

Oh I loved reading this. You're so right about everything. Good on you for giving her the chance of making the apron she really wanted. Awesome bonding story, too. 🙂

16. Linda Kucera says:

More lols here at your "'boring' is such a disgusting word" comment- and it's so true! BTW, your link from Amanda's Finish it up Friday isn't working (the address is missing "blogspot"), but I'm so glad I guessed right and found you! Love the apron, love the tutoring that came with it, on all levels.

17. Adrianne says:

Fantastic post. There might have been a tiny sparkly tear in my eye when your girl pointed you out as her dad.

18. Beth says:

Such a great story and I definitely LOL'd at the boring part too! And great apron and color/fabric combos!

19. Love x eleventy billion.

20. Erica says:

Two works – frickin' awesome!!!!! And for sure,"boring" is such inappropriate language – I don't want to hear that word from you again!

21. Sarah_L_N says:

Also lol-ing at 'boring'. And heart-melty at the netball part 🙂 Love the apron too, the pompom trim is so cute!

fantastic work, well done clever girls! Love the pom pom trim, brilliant!

23. Kirsten says:

Such a gorgeous apron – just love the pom-pom trim and that it is reversible too!

24. Love the apron. Also LOVE the little conversations you have posted on the right hand side of your blog between you and Mr. Sparkles. I read them all to my hubby and we had a good chuckle 🙂 We could both relate! Thanks for the lovely blog, it is much appreciated.

25. CitricSugar says:

Annnhhhh! Too cute! I love a little daddy-daughter bonding time, though mine is not as great with fabric. 🙂

26. If I didn't love your sparkly self already, I would love it now! I was that 12-year old (step) daughter, and while my (step) dad isn't sparkly, he is definitely my dad. This gives my heart such warm fuzzies!

27. Cindy MW says:

Hi Molli/ Joshua, i have sat and read all of your blog to here from your first blog today. sitting in the A/C apparently meant to be 43 degrees here today in Ipswich Qld.
    Anyhoo, have had a blast and absolutely love your fabric and I too lust fabric and have to pet it/ whatever, you know what I mean.
    Anyhoo again, I want to say something about how you said about hovering, and please feel free to use it in future.
    My Nephews Fiance' used this while describing her friends dad…. hovering like a Helicopter.
    You're welcome. 😉
    PS Love the excuse the french, not so boring apron.

28. Cindy MW says:

You're welcome. 😉
    PS Love the excuse the french, not so boring apron.