Sunday Stash #128 – First Prize

Well, colour me happy! There’s a sofa quilt in here for two! This weekend was the Modern Quilt Show Australia ran by the Wollongong Modern Quilt Guild. As previously mentioned, I entered my No Value Does Not Equal Free quilt as a way to publicly display the cost of quilting conversation. My simple hope was that people would see this quilt and create their own discussions around the monetary value of quilt making.
However, I arrived at the show on Saturday, turned the corner into the exhibition hall, and not only was my quilt first in line, it had also won First Prize in the Minimalistic Design category! This is the show that I entered last year and won Best in Show, so I was completely and utterly not expecting to win anything this year. (Not that awards is what we do this for, but it does play on your mind when you are entering judged shows). I thought I surely would have used up all my quilt show karma last year, and I was completely fine with that. Seeing that handcrafted ribbon attached to my quilt exclaiming a First Prize left me speechless! Because it is made out of fabric, I’m totally claiming it as my Sunday Stash #128 contribution. Since I kind of own the link-up I can bend the rules to suit my needs, right? Yeah, thought so. So all of that: incredible.
As an aside, I thought the Modern Quilt Show Australia was so wonderfully curated! All modern quilt styles were represented, and there was a breadth of fabric choices, creators and guests in attendance. It was an absolute pleasure to be a part of such quilt brilliance! (Check out the IG hashtag: modernquiltshowau for heaps of photos!) Also, a giant thank you and applause for the Wollongong Modern Quilt Guild for taking on the enormous effort to put on this show. The hard work and dedication does not go unappreciated. Maybe next year I go for the hat trick?

1. V Hair says:

Yay, congrats to you! A much deserved win.

2. Rike Busch says:

Congratulations!!! Your quilt looks amazing!
    Greetings from Germany,
    Rike

3. Pat says:

Congratulations!

4. Laura says:

Congratulations!

5. Congratulations Molli! How exciting! I love that your sweater matches your new ribbon. Coincidence?

6. Julie says:

Bravo! What a positive affirmation!

Julie @ Pink Doxies

7. MsMidge says:

Congratulations!

8. Leanne says:

Congratulations, that quilt is wonderful!

9. Rules, shmules! As we say in my family, "my bar, my boat" (I don't know why… it's just something we say). So of course, you can set/change/randomly enforce the rules for your own link-up! Congrats on the win…and for publicizing the real cost of quilts. I've been using your Excel spreadsheet to work out the costing on a recent creation – putting it through the Sparkleator.

10. Jayne says:

Congrats…well deserved! It's a beautiful quilt in every way!

11. Jo says:

Brilliant… Way to go. Keep having fun

12. The first thing I noticed in the photo is that you dressed to match the handcrafted ribbon! 🙂 Congratulations – well deserved and super exciting!!!

13. Congratulations, I can see why you won. That quilt really draws the viewer in.
    Colleen @ PieceMakerQuilts

14. Congrats! That's awesome!!

15. memmens says:

Brilliant news, a well deserved win I'm sure, I'm assuming there were lots of other stunning quilts competing.

16. audrey says:

Congratulations! (Also, look how adorable you are!)

17. Yay! Congratulations! Great picture too!

well deserved on so many levels. You'e looking pretty trim too I might add! Love your work!

19. Jane S. says:

Yaayyyyy! The judges knew their stuff the past couple of years, eh? Congratulations on a very well deserved win. 🙂

20. Well done and big congrats! It was great fun to meet you on Saturday x

21. Congrats Molli! Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

22. deltabird says:

Congratulations! I was lucky to see your quilt at the show on Saturday. Loved the handcrafted ribbons. Wollongong Modern Quilt Guild put on a good show. Thank you to all participants.

23. Julie says:

Congratulations to you! It's truly fantastic!

24. kiwikid says:

Congratulations!!! Well done and of course you enter next year and go for the hat trick!!!
    Molli Sparkles rules!!!! Lol!!

25. Way to go, Molli!!! Cool sweater too 🙂

26. pennydog says:

Congratulations, there were some really cool quilts in this competition it appears- I've seen a few on blogland 🙂

27. Oh yay! That's my fav Pretty Women quote ever! Many, many congratulations to you for the win … I love that your jumper matches the prize ribbon too 🙂

Awesome and congrats! That totally counts as a Sunday stash addition, and a wonderful one at that. Here's to many more to come!

29. amy says:

Well deserved recognition, my friend. You truly earned it. This one is the best I've seen.

30. Nicole says:

You co-ordinated your sweater to the award, you saucy minx! Are you sure you didn't have a tip off before hand? Congrats on the recognition.

31. SewPsyched! says:

Oh my goodness!! Thrilling!!! You go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    XX!

32. Jessica says:

Great to see you as always, and to have you as part of the show! Congratulations again, and thank you for your kind words (:

1. November 5, 2015

[…] Last week I ran into Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession fame at the Modern Quilt Show Australia. Kathy is one of those people that I feel lucky to have in my life. She is continually inspiring, and seems to understand (or at least appreciate) how my quilting brain works. Even though her shop is not too far from my home, I still haven’t been to visit. This is a fact that she never lets me forget (fair enough!) On this occasion, after a brief talk about the quilt show judging, we started looking at the fabric in her stall. If you know Kathy and her fabric ranges, you know they are eclectic and steeped in historical and horticultural motifs. I started to mention that tone on tone blenders were more my thing, and she back handed me with a large-scale multi-coloured fabric called The Garden of Earthly Delights designed by Kit Miles. “This is what your sophisticated soul should be using.” I went to apologise, instead suggesting some solids, and she then proceeded to whip me with a selection from Alison Glass’s Handcrafted range. “Take these and don’t come back until you make something worthy of my eyes.” I told you, girl knows how to inspire! So for the past week I’ve been fretting over these fabrics, and how to combine them into something “worthy.” I do love a fabric challenge, and refuse to be beaten by anything or anyone (other than Kathy!) Wish me luck! An InLinkz Link-up […]

2. September 7, 2017