Mood Ring Meltdown
One of the reasons I didn’t have anything to show yesterday for Sunday Stash #126 is because I spent my weekly fabric and notions budget on cushion inserts for this (and another) cushion I recently completed. I had some extra Mood Ring blocks left over from my finished quilt, and I had a cushion to make for some good friends. So I thought, why not kill two divas with one diamond, and here we have it, Mood Ring Meltdown!
I wanted to try out a few new things with this small project, the first of which was matchstick quilting. I had read that drag (of the fabric variety) can be a nightmare with matchstick quilting, but I thought I’d just see what happens regardless. It, of course, happened, (apparently I’m unable to defy the laws of the quilting universe yet), but I just went with it.
I like how it changed these really rigid blocks into more fluid forms. For the process minded out there, I used Aurifil 2620 Stainless Steel to first do quarter inch lines. I sewed these in alternating directions with no real intent, just when I wanted the fabric to drag the other way. I then came back in between these lines with random purple, yellow, and teal threads wherever it felt right.
After the first few grey lines I thought I had ruined my cushion cover, but after persevering, I’m all “hot dayum, that looks pretty nice.” For the surrounds and backing, I used Essex Yarn Dyed Linen in blue (the savvy reader might guess where it came from), and a zipper method that was also new to me. I’ll try to speak on that one a bit later when I show you the next cushion.
I’ll definitely be using all of these new methods more in the future, and I can already say that this Mood Ring Meltdown was welcomed into its new home with great appreciation!