Sunday Stash #99 – Goodies

Most of the quilting demographic might not know R&B princess, Ciara, but she’s had a few major hits along the way. This was a pretty major jam for her (and me!) a few years back. I woke up with this song in my head, and it seemed kind of fabric appropriate, so I thought I’d lay it down here.
I bet you want the goodies
Bet you thought about it
Got you all hot and bothered
Mad cause I talk around it
Looking for the goodies
Keep on looking’ cuz they stay in the jar
Oh-oh Oh-oh Oh-oh Oh-oh
I doubt Ciara is talking about her fabric stash, but maybe she is keeping her scraps in a jar?

Annnywho, I had mine own goodies arrive in the mail this week! This is yardage of Art Gallery’s Minimalista which I’m using for my Mood Ring quilt back (Giveaway still open!) You may have seen on Instagram (molli_sparkles) that I tried out glue basting for the first time in an effort to join a 70″ seam across the back. I was not even about to have these geometric lines going all mis-matched on me! Let me tell you, it worked like Naomi Campbell on a catwalk!
I also received yardage of Tula Pink’s Saltwater which I’m using for my Echo quilt back. Now, I have a rather large bone to pick about this fabric. First, for being in the stripe family, it’s hella cool. However, the vertical repeat is at about 30″ across the width of fabric. So? This means you can’t join two runs of yardage together side by side to create an invisible seam, unless you wanted to forfeit 15″ of fabric from each run. Not impressed! I’ve done it anyway, and while it is not perfect, it’s just gonna have to do!

1. memmens says:

Ooo I can just imagine the frustration at those Tula stripes, does it mean though that you have some lovely offcuts to stash?

The geometric joins look cool, but sure, no-one should be looking too closely at the Tula stripe back anyway!

3. wipgirl says:

I'm guessing the join will hide pretty well with that Tula print anyway, it's a good kind of stripe to mismatch if you're going to have to mismatch your join.

I so love that Minimalista print. It's a great choice for that Mood Ring quilt top (which I don't think I commented on, but like quite a lot. It's a good blend of solids – the kind of quilt top I'd point out to people who don't think they like to sew with solids.)

4. audrey says:

Yeah, pretty much perfect stash additions. 🙂

5. Glad to hear that the glue basting worked so well for you!

6. One Wee Bird says:

The back of your Mood Ring quilt made my eyes bulge so I'm thinking it was a perfect join!…..unless you're now sending subliminal messages to anyone who stares at it too long like the freaky snake in The Jungle Book………..

7. pennydog says:

Yeah I know her- she's the one whose name isn't pronounced properly XD Reminds me of a girl called Sian who pronounced her name Cyan.

Girlfriend, if ya don't like the Tula you can give her to me!