Yesterday I showed you a football block I designed for my brother’s t-shirt quilt. It’s fairly simple in construction, so I whipped up a mostly pictorial guide on how to assemble one if you’re ever in need. You know, because American football season is coming up, right? I think? Maybe, surely sometime soon? Well, regardless, if your house needs some man-cave stylings, or you’re just looking for a way to distract your football-loving partner from your ample fabric purchases, here you go!
1. The finished block measures 12.5″ square.
2. Choose three colours of fabric.
3. Start with your 3.25″ x 6.5″ brown rectangle and combine with a green 0.75″ x 6.5″ rectangle.
4. Lay a 3.5″ green square on the combined unit, right sides together. Draw a line across the diagonal of the square. Sew on this line, and cut off excess fabric a quarter inch away from your sewn line. Iron open. Repeat on other side.
5. Combine this unit with a 1.5″ x 6.5″ white rectangle piece.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 to make another unit exactly the same.
7. Combine (2) 1.25″ x 2.0″ brown rectangles with the 1.0″ x 2.0 white rectangle. Cut this unit in half horizontally.
8. Assemble these two new pieces with the remaining (2) 1.25″ x 2.5″ brown and (3) 1.0″ x 2.5″ white rectangles as per the diagram below and sew together.
9. This will create this unit which should measure 4.5″ x 2.5″.
10. Combine with the (2) 4.5″ x 2.5″ brown rectangles.
11. Assemble all units per the diagram below.
12. Done! This season the man cave will never be the same!