The illustrious Shaun Abels (IG: slabels
) was the No Girls Allowed Quilt Bee
king for August. Unbeknownst to him, he chose a block that some lesser was trying to pass off as their own, when it had so obvs been copyrighted two years prior. We are all about protecting the creator’s intellectual property in the #NGAQB
, so once informed, Shaun gladly switched gears and decided it would be a month of Maker’s Choice! Woo!
Shaun’s a bit too shy to write up a fully detailed account of himself, so me and the gents put together a few of the things we’ve learned about him below.
1. Shaun likes big butts and he can not lie.
2. His drag queen name is Dixie Normous.
3. His favourite pants are quilted leather assless chaps.
4. The real reason he moved to the UK was so that he could freely perform “Baby Got Back” as Dixie Normous, while wearing his quilted leather assless chaps. You should see his tip jar!
5. His favourite pick up line is “Helllllo, sailor!” It works.
6. His first real job was slinging chicken wings as a Hooters girl. He still gardens in his orange shorts.
7. He considers Tula Pink a personal hero, second only to Nicki Minaj.
I used my String Piecing Without a Foundation Tutorial
to whip up these two blocks. I keep my strings sorted by warm and cool colours, so I just went scrappy and let the strings do the rest. I even managed to make a small dent in my collection! I’m loving how they look together and now want to make a quilt for me! Sigh, add it to the list!