& Random

Annnnnd now for a bit of Thursday randomness! I’ve always loved the ampersand, but one that lights up: Yes, please!

Aurifil’s, Alex Veronelli has had a bit of controversy over the past week. There’s some gender politics, unintentional misogyny, marketing techniques, and bravado happening in quilt land that I find extremely interesting. Sam Hunter from Hunter’s Design Studio outlines what’s been going down, and offers her reasonable opinion in her latest post.

Laura at Quokka Quilts is running a Quilt-As-You-Go Free-Motion-Quilt-A-Long, which I like to call the QAYGFMQAL! Even though I haven’t started my own FMQ journey yet (as in, I haven’t even started packing), I know a lot of you have your heels on, ready to go. This is a low pressure way to dive into the pool, learn some new techniques, and meet some friendly folk along the way!

As I was cleaning up my blog this week, I was looking through old project files, and thought you might like to see how I try to keep myself organised. On my computer I create a file folder for each existing project that I intend to finish. (e.g. If I make a test block, or am just playing around, it doesn’t get its own folder quite yet). I number these by start date, and colour code them yellow for WIP, or green for TGIFFed. Then all the photos, notations, patterns, etc. go into these folders for easy reference. Am I OTT? It wouldn’t be the first time someone said that!
The eagle-eyed amongst you will probably notice a few projects that are going to be imminently shared, and a few surprises as well!

1. Vera says:

OTT is a norm for you so this one is perfectly fine. I have folders like that too but don't mark them with colors. I should look at that function 😉 At first I thought you sharing your playlist, lol. BTW when I saw those Alex memes, yours came to mind as well.

2. Nicole says:

I like how your brain is organized. Mine is organized too but not as neatly as yours. Until tomorrow that is, when I will re-label all my folders with numbers. And I like the triple digits too!

• Brenda says:

Oh, but do you remember how a significant share of the population was prepared for computers to blow up and the end of the world to be imminent at the end of 1999, when many computers were not yet prepared to express years in four digits. Is three digits really enough?

3. memmens says:

Thanks for the link to Sam's post, I love well considered, reasoned thought processes, no band wagon, I mean I don't like cats on quilts photo's but I can deal with it!

4. Am L says:

I like the way you organize. Of course, I color coordinated my notes in college, so it seems perfectly reasonable to me. : D

I'll come back to the OTT part of the post in a sec, but, did you know… The "&" used to be the 27th letter of the alphabet. It got its name from children slurring the ending of the alphabet song together so "and per se and" became "ampersand". Thanks Tuesday night at the Belrose Trivia page!

6. pennydog says:

That is so crazy organised! My system is to have a billion photos on a memory card, one HUGE EQ7 file will all my designs ever in it and a whole crapload of litter on my desktop. I have a problem, it's like a digital episode of Hoarders.

7. Julie says:

Ha I didn't know about the Aurifil thing. I like Sam's post about it.

8. jeifner says:

Nicely organized! I use color coding for photography but not sewing projects. Now I'm wondering why…

9. Debbie says:

I must of missed this bit of drama. LOL I love the qayg video. I just took a fmq class from Don Linn and loved every second of it. There is so much you can do beyond the straight line 🙂 It's so much fun to get "out of the box".

10. Leanne says:

I'm glad Alex and Aurifil were constructively and quickly responsive, as no one is perfect, it is how they respond to a concern that shows you what they are actually made of. I am hoping people will just speak up quickly next time or maybe not participate in the first place. Now I'm wondering if you are going to hear about those DB photos??? I love how organized you are, we call it OCD, and many smart folks share these tendencies, but colour coding too, I am impressed!

11. Jess says:

Oh, when I clicked through I was hoping you were going to give your opinion on the Aurifil issue – I think it would be interesting to get a male perspective on it. I assume by linking to Sam's post, you agree with her position? I dont do much social media so I hadnt seen/heard any of this until this week. I think they definitely need a new marketing strategy (promoting it on blogs seemed to be working well…) but I do think they make fab thread!

12. Laura says:

thanks hon! 🙂 I have to say, I'm awed at your organised filing system!!!