WiP Wednesday #18 – A Test Block

Lovelies. Listen up! To celebrate the debut of my first broken herringbone quilt on Friday, I’ll be guest hosting this week’s Thank Goodness It’s Finished Friday. I hope you’ll come check it out, as it’d be a shame to have a grand debut to an empty theatre. And, since I’m all for breakin’ the rules, as long as you are at a stopping point, it sounds like a finish to me! (Hey, you’ve finished that section, right?!)
Now, take a look at some of my process below. (Warning: it is a hot mess!) This was a block a bee mate contributed, and while it didn’t make it into the final quilt, it still served a grandiose purpose. It sacrificed itself, so that others could sparkle on even brighter!
You’ll see I was trialling various binding methods and widths, and this is where I tested out my quilting options. I also got out my Stained by Sharpie Fabric Markers to see my colour choices and how they’d look on the white sashing. Of course you can’t see the back, but I was checking out how the quilting pattern would look, checking for any tension issues, and auditioning backing fabrics. There’s a lot of learning in this one block. Plus, now I can tear it up and save the scraps, win, win!
Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WiP Wednesday!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Mr. Sparkles is insisting on watching the football, and it’s dulling my funny bone.

1. LOL! Looking forward to the final reveal on Friday!

2. I've been wondering how the binding was coming along. Thanks for sharing your testing methods. See you on Friday!

Lorna:)

3. Leo says:

you really think it's a great idea to tear up a bee block?

4. Tanyia says:

I bet it will be gorgeous, I love this block design and would love to try it soon!

I am stopping by from the WIP hop, my post is here if you have time to stop by 🙂 http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/07/wip-july-17th-edition.html

5. Cari says:

This noble block has served its purpose. I say rip away!

6. Tessa Marie says:

Jolly nice of your little block to make the sacrifice!! Oh goody, I have a finish for this week so I will see you on Friday!!

Interesting method of testing binding etc. Looking forward to seeing the finished bound quilt.

8. Looking forward to friday's reveal 🙂

9. What a great use for a spare block… it's sacrifice has not gone unmarked!

10. sharpie says:

Well well well, look who decided to resurface 😉 (Yes, your absence on those strings has been duly noted). Back from your media tour for a pitstop before moving on to the next, I see?

11. Nicole says:

It's always a great idea to audition quilting on samples. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt!

12. Thanks for showing the hot mess part of the process. I think a lot of times we get wound up in only showing the pretty that the hot mess escapes our blog posts! And a lot of ugly really does have to happen before you get the beautiful. Can't wait to see that finish!