WiP Wednesday #05 – Quilting Attempt
What a step on the quilting journey this week! Managed to get my first ever quilt sandwiched and basted and it was such a personal achievement. Even though I am sort of going crazy staring at all of this yellow (have you read The Yellow Wallpaper?), it was nice learning another part of the process.
Then I went to quilt it, and CRASH. Let’s just say, I did one line, and went, no, that just will not do. So I reached out to my support group, also known as, Quilt Club Australia, and they came back with an overwhelming response of tips and suggestions on how to get my sanity back! It is surprising for me to find people in the world that are just this nice and caring. Not to hell in a hand basket yet, I say!
So I devised an 8 step manifesto that will help when I make my second attempt at quilting the sucker:
- Thread to remain the same colour, as the backing is that exact grey and I like how the grey tones the yellow down a bit. Plus some of the blocks are darker in value and not as noticeable.
- Kidnapping my MIL’s Pfaff with a walking foot.
- Learn to live with a bit of wonkiness, but that first attempt will have to go!
- Keep the diagonal, because it is what I really want and I refuse to let my skill level dictate my design aesthetic.
- Getting some quilter’s / masking tape to help with straighter lines.
- Gonna start in the middle and work my way out.
- Know that at the end of the day, this is my FIRST quilt and I freaking love it no matter what, and that my grandma will love it ten times more than me, NO MATTER WHAT!
- Learn from every single mistake and achievement!!!
So there you have it, another week, another learn. Hopefully, once the kidnapping occurs on Saturday, I can put the rest of this manifesto in place. I’ll keep you posted!
Linking up with Freshly Pieced: